Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Maid-to-order

I never knew disciplining a kid could make me laugh-out-loud. No, I am not being sadistic and no feelings were hurt, except for Sara's. But I think she will laugh about this when she's older too.

Our story starts with Sara doing her homework in my room. I was working from home and was keeping an eye on the work she was doing while reading and reporting on a report - I know, reporting on a report sounds silly but it's part of what I need to do for work. Anyhow, Sara went from sitting next to me, to sprawling on the floor to climbing into my bed. The result of that trail is a mess that covered most part of my room. So I had to then supervise her to clean the room.

Cleaning up includes removing the eraser bits that were all over the floor with a small broom, to putting my pillows back properly on my bed to throwing out used papers. After two sets of instructions the little girl was getting moody. She started to stomp her feet and glare at me. When I asked her what's wrong, what came out of her mouth was nothing short of amazement. She said, "Why do you treat me like a maid?!" My immediate reaction was a guffaw which was not appreciated because she stomped out of my room cyring and I later heard her complaining to my mother.

After a few minutes, I went to her room and tried to explain to her why she had to clean up. Her defence was since it was my room which was messy, then I have to clean up because it was MY room. This is because she has to clean her own room and she's never asked me to clean HER room. Of course the fact that she messed my room up is immaterial at this stage. So in the end, she did finish cleaning up the mess, albeit grudgingly.

That evening, I was tucking her in and saw a piece of paper in her room and saw her scribblings on it. I picked it up and all was revealed:

"My mother trits me like a maid! She said I must clean up her room. It is HER room and I have to clean it up?! She is so bossy! My bibik is not even trited like a mid but I am. And the worse part? She didn't even say thank you! And that is so rud. And she always remind me to say thank you! I am so angry."

Kid, you have no idea how cute you are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG -- how Sara Hana has grown. She is sooooooo cute!! :-)