Monday, September 20, 2010

Mammo schwammo

The beauty of coming reaally close to 40, I'm experiencing, is being subjected to various health examinations such as the mammogram. After a routine check up my gynae said I needed to go for my first mammogram. Since I would save $200 by going to a public instead of private clinic, the choice is a no-brainer. Fast forward to three months later, I made an appointment at a public clinic and was told to set aside 3-4 hours for this test. Right. I took half-day leave from work to ensure I have enough time.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was attended to right at the time of my appointment. And that was basically the best bit of my appointment - they saw me on time (and actually I stayed for less than hour which left me plenty of time to roam around aimlessly). The rest of the time I spent at the diagnostics clinic, I felt like my two girlfriends - Boob Right and Boob Left - were tortured and treated like pieces of meat. I was made to contort into positions that tested the flexibility of my limbs (thank you, yoga) and was asked if I could turn and twist my head a full 180 degrees. I had to turn my body to one side while ensuring my by-now separate pieces of flesh are left on a tray, manhandled and contorted by a radiologist who is very apologetic about it all. And I had to do a re-take because take # 5 couldn't be used. Joy.

I think the folks at GE need to relook at the design of their sonograph equipment. Honestly folks, why would you expect the patients to contort their bodies and bodily parts to suit the design of your machines? You should design your machines to suit the patients lah. And we are talking about 40 year old ladies here who might not be all nimble and patient. And while most of us have gone through child labour, it doesn't mean we would want to subject ourselves to the same pain in a different part of our body. *glare*

Boob Left and Boob Right are slowly getting over the manhandling but man, this experience has left a lasting impression on them and I. Jeez, I am turning into a grumpy old lady.

No comments: