Monday, April 05, 2010

Mawlid

The Mawlid season is wrapping up and my mum, to coincide with inviting her masjid friends over to her new residence, invited her friends over to commemorate Mawlid with berzanji and nasheed. So we had about 20 ladies over on a wet Saturday afternoon; much to my mum's delight (and relief), almost all of her friends came over, braving the heavy rain.

Since it was an all-ladies event, my dad and the husband parked themselves nicely at the first floor. We also invited some relatives over and the two men of the house made the most of the situation by putting hosting skills to good use by mostly saying hello and pointing to where the food and drinks are...just kidding.

The berzanji session was beautiful. I was amazed that these ladies have such beautiful voices that they are putting to good use to praise the Almighty Allah. At the end of the 45minute session, I was moved with all the selawat and berzanji that my eyes weren't dry at the end of the entire session. I looked around and saw a number of other ladies dabbing their eyes as well.

It was certainly a nice sight to see my mum with her friends - some of whom I knew since I was a little girl. Some friends you want to keep and some friendships just last a lifetime.

No comments: