Wednesday, December 15, 2010

If I was being totally honest...

...I would say that I am getting bored and maybe even frustrated with my job. I find that I am busy but with things that I am describing as "mundane" and "boring". I am starting to feel like I am working in a sausage factory...endless amounts of the same ol' same ol'. And even though the job market is picking up and I am getting many calls, I haven't been able to nail any of the ones that I was interested in. Mostly, I've been told my experience is too "senior" for the role.

So I was bummed out for a couple of weeks. The husband said I need to start either making my current job more exciting or be patient for "the" job that might interest me. Good advice, I must say.

So I turned to The One for some solace as I just wanted to feel less "stuck" and more "happy". All in quote marks because I have a feeling that these are my perceptions which are projecting as reality to me and I really need divine intervention to show me the way. And He never fails me.

A couple of days later, I started sketching in my head, what I would do to make my current role more interesting. I had some ideas and thoughts but didn't quite have the courage to present it to my direct boss. I was bound by my own fears; what if she said this is the job, take it or leave it. Or if she said something worse like, you're fired!? So while I had some ideas, I wasn't sure how I was going to express them without seeming like I didn't want my job anymore.

However, the opportunity presented itself in one of my weekly calls with her (my boss is based outside of Singapore). We were talking about 2011 plans and I started presenting the ideas I had in my head slightly differently. The new stuff I wanted to do, I related it back to how it would help the business. After 20+ years of communications experience, I was slapping my forehead for forgetting this really simple and basic rule of communications - tell them what's in it for them. Sigh. She was thankfully, very happy to hear my ideas and we discussed what the next steps are.

So in the end, I have stopped looking for greener pastures. I am instead focusing on how I am making what I have better -for me and the business I work for.

Alhamdulillah :)

No comments: