Monday, November 15, 2010

A breakthrough

My family and I are touchy-feely people. We like to give each other hugs and kisses and we say "I love you" to each other all the time. I say "I love you" to all three kids on different occasions and usually I get the two younger ones reciprocating by saying "I love you too, mummy moo." Farah usually says "Oh OK," as a reply. I never pushed the issue, never asked her why she doesn't reply the way I think (or rather, hope) she would reply. I used to get annoyed and even irritated that she is stingy with her expressions of love and affection to the people who love her dearly. But I also know I have to be patient and when she's ready, she will. And last night, before I drove off to the airport to catch a plane to Sydney, she was ready.

The husband was away too and I told her I depend on her to make sure the two kiddies do not drive the helper round the bend and stress Atok and Nenek too much with their antics. She said OK. I hugged and kissed her and said "Love you, Kak." I thought I heard her mumble something but she looked away and moved off before I could ask her.

Tonight I called the kids from Sydney. Everything sounds like they are under control. So I ended my chats with each child with a "I love you and see you tomorrow". And tonight, I was rewarded with a "Love you too, mummy." Loud and clear. From Farah. The daughter I have had to try harder to win over. Alhamdulillah :')

No comments: