Monday, February 01, 2010

Hmmm

Besides stating the obvious such as "What? It's February ALREADY?" or "I haven't updated this blog for how long now?" I feel like I've been sucked into what some would call "daily routine" and have had no time for anything else.

If I hadn't said it before, Sara is quite enjoying her new school. She did make me nervous by saying her teachers are "grumpy" and "yell a lot" and I thought, oh no...she's going to ask to go back to her old school. Or when she came home and asked me what the words "chewren" and "tarme" mean because she heard some teachers used them and I thought, oh no...I will have to send her back to her old school.

While that child is nicely adapting to her new routine, I had a naughty little boy who misbehaved. We found out Danial has been nicely going to school with his school t-shirt everyday when students are only allowed to be in t-shirt on PE days. His logic when we asked why he'd done that? Was simply, the weather is too hot to be wearing collared shirt and he didn't like being all sweaty and hot. But rules, they are meant to be obeyed so we told him no-go but made a deal that he could change into his t-shirt when he walks to my SIL's after school.

We also caught him covertly playing computer games when he's not supposed to and skipping homework. I was floored; what happened to the sweet little boy I used to know? So in the end, his CPU is now sitting nicely in my room and the husband and I check his school bag daily to ensure he's done what he needs to do.

Besides all these drama, both Sara and Danial have one thing in common. They both want to quit Kumon. Whines such as the worksheets are too difficult and there isn't enough time to complete the worksheets where met with rational counter reasons. I know I sound like a crazy mum, but the worksheets only take less than half hour to complete and they have enough time for TV, ride their bicycles and read daily. They are resisting the discipline that is needed to complete the worksheets and that is the one thing that will help them succeed in life. Talent without discipline amounts to nothing, I told them with my sage hat firmly on my head.

Danial is still being observed. He'll need to earn our trust to be able to get his little luxuries back. And he knows that too. While Farah didn't have too bad of a teenage rebellion, I half suspect this time around, the teenage typhoon will hit us harder with this little boy. Sigh.

2 comments:

Barkley's Mommy said...

Congratulations on being such a good Kumon parent! It takes discipline and commitment to benefit from the long-term rewards of the program. You are definatley doing the right thing for your children by "seeing the big picture" and understanding that less than a half-hour per day of Kumon study will make such a tremendous difference in their academic futures. Good job!

Kindest rrgards~
~~~Anne

DramaMama said...

Hello, thanks for dropping by and for the kind comment :)